A reminder of the need to protect the personal information which you hold on other parties as part of your Guiding role. This is particularly important at the moment when other members of your household might be around when you are accessing that information.
- Be mindful of what is displayed on your computer screen or on notepads or paperwork when you are working.
- Lock your computer when leaving it unattended and don't leave notebooks or paperwork where they can be read by others.
- If you are taking sensitive calls (for example relating to safeguarding, complaints or compliance cases), do this privately in a room away from other people.
- Keep Girlguiding data separate from your own personal data and avoid keeping hold of personal information about others longer than is necessary.
- Be extra vigilant about opening web links and attachments in e-mails and other messages. Don't click on unfamiliar links or attachments - the ICO are seeing a rise in scams.
- Use strong passwords - the NCSC recommends using three random words together. Make sure you are using different passwords for different services.
- Try and set up a separate e-mail account for Guiding business which isn't shared with other members of your household. Better still, set up an e-mail account for your Unit.
With the introduction of the new data protection regulations in 2018, the rules relating to the use of photographs and videos have changed. Please note that if you are submitting photographs to the Region for use on the website, we will need you to provide information on everyone who can be clearly identified. This includes adults as well as girls. The information we need is:
- The date and location where the photograph was taken.
- The name of the unit/s in the photograph.
- The full names and membership numbers of all those who appear in the photograph.
- The person submitting the photograph must give their full name and membership number and confirm in writing that permission has been obtained for the photograph to be used from all those who feature. We also need the date that the photo permission form was signed and confirmation of any exclusions to any of the permissions - for example, the photograph may be used on the website, but not on social media.
To ensure you and your girls have all the information needed in order to enjoy all that Guiding has to offer, you need to be receiving the Region's monthly e-Newsletter. This will give you advance notice and full details of forthcoming events which will enable you to book early and be sure of being allocated places. If you have not already done so, please update your preferences in GO and tick the boxes marked 'Email' and 'Regional Information (get updates from guiding in your local area)'. You will then receive mailings from Region, your County/Island, and all levels below.